Friday, July 24, 2009

i'm a big girl now.

i will never have my parents support when it comes to dance. i don't think they will ever understand what dance means to me and how much i need it in my life. i told them today about my audition for clipper girls and a part of me expected some sort of support but instead i was met with "whys" and "why do you think you need to do that?" i tried telling them that i want to make use of what is looking like a year off before pharmacy school. i refuse to just work and let 16 years of dance disappear in a matter of a month. i know they don't understand why i dance and it is hard for them to be supportive, but for God sakes i am an adult now. its so hard to hear my dad say "why didn't you just major in dance in college?" when clearly that was never an option when i applied for college. they made it very clear that i was going to college for a "real" degree. i don't regret not being a dance major because i know things worked out for the best. i am blessed to have accomplished and experienced what i have and i wouldn't change that for the world. i just wish they took my determination to never limit myself and saw it in a positive light rather than see all my extracurriculars as a waste of my time.

so tomorrow, i will dance because i love to dance. with or without my parent's support.

4 comments:

doodewheresmykar said...

good luck dsis!!!
i know you are going to be amazing!!!
dance like no one is watching, work that hair!!!
i love you very very much!!!

s d v said...

word, girl. I FEEL YOU. that aside,

DITTO to what Kar said!!
GET IT, GURL!!!! ROCK THAT SHIT!

itsjustjase said...

Amen to that :)

Follow your heart, whatever it may tell you. And in the end, it will always be right.

Thanks for your comment and the quote from Grey's Anatomy. It put a smile on my face.

Love you!

shahirah said...

I just read this entry now, and I totally know how you feel on this one. Don't ever give it up even if no one else supports you. Do it FOR yourself, and at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that the effort and the passion was all yours and for you :) come back to defore!